Monday, March 22, 2010

Do These Smarty-Pants Make Me Seem Obtuse?



Unlike some websites, (Jim Chapman's latest mouthpiece ironically titled 'The Voice of London' is one prime example,) here at Sonny Drysdale Presents, the 'Comments' section is never closed.

Here is an email received by Beat Magazine (or www.beatmagazine.ca) for a column on the stage adaptation of 'Pride and Prejudice' which I did for the current March issue. You can read the original two posts down under 'The Annual Theatre Column.' If you haven't read it yet, I recommend that you do so before reading the rest of this here post.

Anyway - this is what one Stephanie O, has to say -

"Hi - I picked up 'The Beat' for the first time recently and was flipping through when I saw Sonny Drysdale's article on 'Pride and Prejudice.' The first time I read it I was shocked; I couldn't believe that someone would write an article that was so explicitly wrong in its facts (saying Jane Austen was a playwright, that 'Pride and Prejudice' was based on 'Bridget Jones'; that 'Emma' was based on 'Clueless' ...) When I searched Drysdale's blog online I saw that he had posted a very similary article, and that a few of the comments on it suggested that the piece may have actually meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

"I did not get the sense that it was some kind of joke when I was reading it (if that was in fact the case.) If Drysdale was joking, I'm not sure what his point was in doing so; my closest guess is that he was critiquing the fact that a plethora of Jane Austen remakes now exist and as a result people have forgotten that she was actually a renowned 18th c writer. But if there was a point in his suggestion that Austen is a contemporary playwright remaking 'Bridget Jones' and 'Clueless' into late 18th c set pieces it was lost on me and the other people I've shown the article to to get their opinions on it. It seems to me this article actually reproduces the very problem Drysdale might be poking fun at rather than critique it.

"As a PhD student of English literature, a former News Editor and Culture Editor for a small newspaper, and a writer and reader myself, I find this article somewhat troubling in that it doesn't accomplish much other than confusing readers more about Jane Austen's relationship to contemporary versions of her work.

"Otherwise, I think it's awesome that you've put together 'The Beat' and you've done great work in putting it together. Viva independent arts (print) publications :)"

... well, of course I can't comment on any of this. You don't explain a joke. It's just not done. It's unprofessional.

Instead, I will take the wise advice of my good friend Al who says that when dealing with such people, the best course of action is to simply say, "I'm sorry. You're absolutely right. It will never happen again." And then get out of the room as fast as you can before they see the smirk on your face.

13 Comments:

Blogger G. Harrison said...

Obtuse? I don't think so.

That being said, after reading the woman's comment (keeping in mind she reads and writes a lot) I was troubled.

But not about your previous post or the lovely book cover art that set the stage.

I like your approach, i.e., not to explain yourself too much. 'Always leave them wanting more' - that's my motto!

Cheers,

GAH

8:24 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Thanks Gord. I didn't want to seem petty - because Stephanie is a PhD student in English Literature, but I noticed a spelling mistake in there.

10:27 AM  
Blogger G. Harrison said...

You didn't even mention the error to Stephanie. How unsmug of you. Well done.

GAH

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Get in the swing, pal
Get in the swing
With everybody and everything

My friends are here
Mind if you go out and not come back again
Well, thanks a lot
Hooray, hooray
The night is younger than the girl who's got the touch
But not by much

Well, I ain't no Freud, I'm from L.A.
But I know certain things
That they also serve who sit and wait
They're cheaper than painting
And don't need explaining"

-Ron Mael

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

....or how about...
"I would'nt be so paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me"
-Frank Burns

9:43 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Ron Mael? Is he the good-looking Spark or the funny-looking one with the Chaplin/Hitler mustache? I always get those Sparks guys mixed up.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sonny Drysdale, born yesterday.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Doug, if you can think of one truly great cultural event prior to The Beatles landing in America, let me know.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Elvis Presley appearing at the Louisiana Hayride in 1956.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Make that March 3, 1955. (journalistic rigour)

3:40 PM  
Blogger Crazylegs said...

Poor Stephanie. I kind of think there might be a down-on-his-luck Nigerian Prince in her future - and it, too, will end badly.

Or maybe I'm thinking of the plotline from another Bridget Jones Adventure Series novel.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you missed my irony.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

No, Doug. Got it and appreciated it. I only wear crisp collared shirts and pants with a nice crease, so I'm a big fan or ironing.

3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home