Saturday, November 11, 2006

Oh Lord, please don't tell me to stop

Did it again last night.

And I gotta tell ya, I kinda liked it.

No, that's not true - I really like it. That's why I did it again about half an hour ago - and my heart is still beating fast. And hard. Maybe too fast. And too hard. But if I die from it, at least I'll die happy.

What I do is, I wait until the wife and kid are out of the house for the night. Then I turn off all the lights in the living room, light a single candle so that people walking by on the sidewalk will still see my silouette on the blinds - and then I put an old record on the turntable. And dance. And dance like there's no tomorrow. Not only no tomorrow but no dawn and I couldn't care less if I even get to see midnight.

And luckily, most of those old songs are no longer than three minutes tops - because, my heart is about to pop by the end. And that's what the rush is. That's what the 'danger' part of this is all about. Some may call it 'suicidal' - I prefer to think of it as flirting with the Grim Reaper, When you're in your fifties, this is what's known as living on the edge.

Yeah, I hear your giggles. But I dare ya, anyone out there who's forty or even thirty or what the hell, even 17. And I double-dog dare ya to fill your arteries with cheese and burger-grease and first-hand smoke and half a distillery of Canadian Club and then get up there and do what I do - dance like a maniac, dance like that chick in the leggin's from 'Flashdance,' dance like ya mean it, dance like your life depends on it; dance like you're on 'Soul Train' and not some piece of shit like 'Dancing With the Stars'; dance like at that very moment there is nothing more important in the world because you are in tune with the universe and you don't give a damn how stupid you might look ---- and then live to tell the tale.

Or better yet, record the whole thing and put it up on YouTube for'Posterity.' Because that's what I do.

The first time was a couple of weeks ago. When you watch the video, you can tell that I was a bit self-conscious. But at the time, it was like I was the life of the party - that is, if there was anyone there other than me and the dog - who mostly looked embarrassed. I got my kid's web-cam, closed the rec-room door , put on Otis Day and the Knights singing that ol' Motown classic, 'Shout,' and I tell ya, the magic just happened. For the curious, this is filed at YouTube under "Kevin Arnold Dancing."

I tried it again recently to an entire CD of greatest hits by Soundgarden. But it just wasn't happening.

But tonight, I thought I'd go for the gusto, push myself with an endurance test - and if Mr.Heart Attack was to show up, I'd mop up the floor with the mutha - if he could even hang in there as long as I planned to be on my living room boards, bopping round and round to a four minute song!

It wasn't an intentional idea on my part to pick out such a long song. But for the first time in a decade, I had a hankerin' for some Sinead O'Connor. And my favorite - and the only rockin' song she has - is 'The Emperor's New Clothes,' ... and that's all I need in the way of tunes to rock out to. And when you see me bite my lower lip real hard during the chorus? - I meant to do that.

... and when it's all over and you're waiting for your pulse to subside back to normal, the following song from that CD - 'Black Boys on Mopeds' is a good thoughful relaxer - and a reminder as to why this baldy-chick ever mattered in the first place.

But by all means, check out my dance interpretations of Sinead on YouTube. It's filed under "Your Dad dancing like Axl Rose."

1 Comments:

Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Oh God, thank you!

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home