Saturday, December 23, 2006

A Christmas Prayer


If you are anything like me, it just isn't the holidays without an Oriental Party Pak from M&M Meatshops. For the past 15 years it's been part of my family's Christmas Eve tradition - and I gotta tell you, after an night of spirited neighbourhood caroling, nothing hits the spot quite like it.

As Mother takes a Party Pak from the freezer and pops it in the oven, I gather the children round our pink aluminum tree and once again tell them the story of Baby Jesus and the first Oriental Party Pak. According to the Book of Enoch, when the three kings followed that Star out of the East, they weren't bearing gifts of frankincense and myrrh, but rather a hamper of exotic foods from their homelands: mini-vegetable spring rolls. breaded chunks of seasoned chicken and pork as well as those mini-potsticker things (whose actual ingredients remain a carefully guarded secret to this day.)

Arriving in Bethlehem, they presented their offering to Mary and Joseph and then they all dug into the first Oriental Party Pak. The scene became an eternal symbol of hope. For when people of different faiths and nations come together to share finger foods and dip them in plum sauce while gazing upon the Miracle of Life, then all our other problems seem insignificant.

As a Party Pak cools on the kitchen counter, we bow our heads and pray that somewhere in the world, Mr. Bush in his White House and Mr. Bin Laden in his cave are also enjoying an Oriental Party Pak and thinking about how to make the world a better place for us all.

Then we turn off the Christmas tree lights, plug the television back in and watch a Christmas special.

4 Comments:

Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Geezus, Sonny, if I had of known that you've been living the Life of Riley all these years, I would have asked ages ago if I can move in with you.

I just love those Oriental Party Pak's from M&M Meatshops!

I'm on my way over right now!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Better hurry, Butch.

Unfortunately, like Kraft Dinner and Tootsie Rolls, I'm sad to say that due to their popularity, M&M's Oriental Party Paks have decreased in size over the years.

So let me know if Betty is coming too - and I'll take a couple of them out of the freezer. Or just throw another squirrel into the stew depending on your e.t.a.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Holly Jolly Christmas


Have a holly, jolly Christmas;
It's the best time of the year
I don't know if there'll be snow
but have a cup of cheer

Have a holly, jolly Christmas;
And when you walk down the street
Say Hello to friends you know
and everyone you meet

Oh
ho
the mistletoe
hung where you can see;
Somebody waits for you;
Kiss her once for me

Have a holly jolly Christmas
and in case you didn't hear

Oh by golly
have a holly
jolly Christmas this year.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Happy Christmas to you too, H.P.

You too, Burl.

3:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home