Friday, December 08, 2006

It's a Snow Day!

Was summoned for a dog walk at 5:00 a.m., no time to wake up with a coffee - and the first thing we see is four feet of snow outside the front door. Even for a Great Dane, this was high. But we plowed through until he finally found a spot to empty those bowels. Right in the middle of the road. And since I was covered in snow already, I shovelled out our sidewalk. No point in doing the driveway. No one's going anywhere today. Certainly not on my street. Some fool has his car stuck in the middle of the road and so we can forget about any snow-plows till he moves it.

Just a nice day to stay in and listen to AM radio tell us about everything that's closed. Which is basically everything. When the cops say don't go on the roads unless it's an emergency, that means the whole town is shut down. When the taxis are only making trips to hospitals, that says it all. Still, I'm sure I could get a bottle of booze delivered if I really wanted one. It would be a nice day to sit in front of a fire, look out the front door window and curl up inside a nice glass of red wine.

And it's about time we had a Snow Day. Even though London is supposedly in the middle of a 'snow belt,' we haven't had an official snowday in decades. Back in the late 70s actually. I remember it was the winter of '77. I remember that year because the year before was the year they had all that flooding down in Windsor. I remember that because it was in 1976 that they finished building the Ambassador Bridge. Before that, if you wanted to cross the river you had to take the ferry over to Detroit. All it cost was a nickel. American nickels had a picture of a bee on the one side back then. So if you wanted a return trip on the ferry, the ferry-man would tell you "That'll be two bees." But if you wanted to buy a soda over there, that would be just one bee. So when you left the house in the morning you would make sure you had plenty of bees in your pocket.

Ah, winter memories. Course they don't have nickels with bees on them up here. But that doesn't matter. We have snow. Four feet of it.

I leave you with Wally Cox's thoughts of snow taken from his book, My Life as a Small Boy (1961, Scribners.) ... "I always wanted the snow to make everything disappear. It seemed to me that snow had a sense of humor. Snow fell for the fun of it. Adults had no use for it, and kids did, so it seemed to be on our side, as few things were."

17 Comments:

Blogger Butch McLarty said...

I just saw Honey Pot Sugar Scoop working as an elf alongside a Mall Santa.

When I asked if she wanted to sit in MY lap, she told me to bugger off.

What ever can it all mean?

9:11 AM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

It means you shouldn't be wearing your 'Herbie, the Elf' costume out in public.

Hey Butch, you gonna be selling reindeer meat again this year? If so put down for a coupla steaks, some chops and a good-size rump roast.

1:37 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

I like it when you say, "Don't ... Stop!, Don't ... Stop!"

4:09 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

My auger of gnarled knotty pine is pretty persistent.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Honey Pot, I have no problem with letting you back in, but to be honest, I don't even know how to do that at the moment.

I'll nose around and see what I can do and get back to you here.

Remember, though, libelous comments will not be tolerated -- and that goes for that foul-mouthed prick, Sonny, as well.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Elaine, you're all set. You're un-banned.

Remember, play it cool. Now I know how to reactivate the ban and I'm a ruthless prick. Trust me. I was born under a bad sign.

Let me know if you remember your password.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Wow, these negotiations are just like when David Peterson convinced Belinda to cross the floor.

Hey, you two - don't be strangers.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Try it again, Honey Pot.

But use a little K-Y Gel this time. It hasn't been used in a while, remember?

I have unlocked the door, I've got the beer on ice and the table all set. Candles and incense are burning. Black Sabbath is on the stereo.

Bugs Bunny and the Tasmanian Devil are on TV.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Thanks for the nice words H.P.

Give ALT another try later today - I think Butch is just trying to build up the suspense.

If he has the connnections to convince the U.S.D.A. AND the Canadian Federation of Agriculture - AND Eugene Wheatland (famed Liberal politico/cash-crop farmer/cowboy-hat enthusiast from down Essex County way,) that the Taco Bell e-coli didn't originate from Rancho McLarty, then he surely has the political muscle to get you back in at ALT.

Hey, Jack Layton - time to make some phone calls!

12:31 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Sonny, thanks for the endorsement on Alt-London's power as an advertising forum! (It's on the left side of the home page.)

As promised I've got your Web-blog adress up beneath your endorsement.

Plus, it's included in one of the comments on the Honey Pot thread.

Hard to get? Guess who's playing hard to get?

COME TO YOUR SWEET LOVIN' DADDYKINS ... COME TO POPPA ... HE'S BEEN AWAY IN JAIL AND NEEDS SOME LOVIN'.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Gosh, thanks Butch. I couldn't have said it better myself. ... (Incidently, there's a couple of sawbucks coming in the mail with your name on them.)Thanks again and lots of luck to you and yours, Sonny D.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Unless Honey Pot Sugar Scoop shows up soon, it looks like it'll be another long lonely night with the Palm Sisters ...

Oh well, I've lasted this long carrying a sack of spuds between my legs, I guess I can go another night.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Horny ... er ... a ... Honey Pot, try to log onto alt once more.

If it doesn't work, let me know and I can give you a new password and I guarantee you that it will work.

I've got the levers on my end. Like I said one time just before I went into the ditch down around Glencoe, "Don't worry about a thing, I'm not drunk, I'm in complete control."

4:42 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Honey Pot Baby

She packed up her bags and she took off down the road
Left me here stranded with the bills she owed
She gave me a false address
Took off with my american express
Honey Pot baby
She sure had me way outguessed

She left me here stranded like a dog out in the yard
Charged up a fortune on my credit card
She used my address and my name
Man that was sure unkind
Honey Pot baby
She sure has a real good time

I looked in miami
I looked in negril
The closest I came was a month-old bill
I checked the Bahamas and they said she was gone
I cant understand why she did me so wrong

But she packed up her bags
And she took off down the road
Said she was going to visit sister Flo
She used my address and my name
And man that was sure unkind
Honey Pot baby
Im gonna catch up sometime
Sure had a real good time

6:02 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

We've been up since four. But the cows need milkin', pigs need sloppin' and there's an egg pick-up down to the hen-house. And that quiche won't get made by itself, ya know.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

What part of English don't you get Honey Pot?

If it's not working for you, I'll send you a password that will make it work -- and the password will be our little secret, a secret word that only you and I in the entire world, will know.

But you never respond to my e-mails sent to your hotmail account.

Do you have a new e-mail address?

Otherwise, I'm just going to forget about this whole thing and start shagging the wife again.

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you try honey.wagon.88@hotmail.com ?

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home