Thursday, February 21, 2008

Goodbye, Old Friend.



My dog died the other day.

Tuesday morning about 7 a.m., Paxton died in his sleep. He had been sick most of the weekend. Actually, he hadn't been well for the past two months. Heart problems typical of older Great Danes. He'd get sick, would lay down and be unable to get up and seem like he was on Death's door for hours on end. But the next day or a few hours later, he would always rebound and be back to his old self.

This time, he didn't wake up. Eleven years old. That's about three years longer than the usual life-expectancy for a Great Dane. He just didn't want to leave. How's that for loyalty?

He came to live with us four years ago. He was an older dog and came into our home to retire. Seven years old. That's 49 in dog-years. At the time, I was 49 in people-years. We were well-suited for each other. We both liked to just lay around the house, sit in the back-yard and chase the occassional squirrel.

I'd never had my own dog before. And by the end of that first weekend, I was smitten with him. And I was amazed about how, at this particular point in my life, just how easy it was to fall in love again.

I know that he felt the same way. I was his Alpha Male and his best friend. He was my constant companion, choosing to only rarely be out of my sight and going up to bed when I went. He could have stayed downstairs where all the fun and activity was. Instead, he chose to come up and stretch out in his spot on the floor at the side of the bed. Maybe he thought it was his job to be up there to protect me or keep me company. Or maybe he was just sleepy too. Sleeping was one of the things he did best.

Actually, there were a lot of things he did well. To get a treat he could do the three-step process of 'sit', 'shake a paw' and then 'jump' where he would leap into the air for a Milkbone held about six feet off the ground. He knew how to keep squirrels from setting foot in our backyard. He knew how to bark at anyone knocking at the front door, walking down the sidewalk in front of the house (especially if they were walking a dog - somehow he just knew,) or even at passing trains who made the house rumble from two blocks away.

He knew how to sneak into bed. Crouching down, then plopping one foot on the bed, waiting to see if anyone had noticed, then plopping the other up there and then laying low he would wiggle his whole body up. Then he'd flop his head over and look at you like he'd just beaten the heck out of you at checkers. And the funny thing was, that this 120-pound dog actually thought he was pulling something over on you and that you didn't even notice until it was too late.

At supper, he wouldn't beg. He would just stand next to you, stare at your plate, let out the occassional sigh and then plop that huge head down on the table and wait until you were done and those scraps got tossed into his bowl.

That head was the most magnificent thing I've ever seen. If I was a different sort of person, I would have had a taxidermist preserve it for me properly when he died. But I knew they wouldn't be able to capture those soulful eyes. It wouldn't be the same.

T'was a noble head to be sure. Floppy ears, not the cropped Scooby-Doo kind. Next to each of his eyes, a narrow line of short black hair looked like a running tear. As he got older, his grey whiskers gave him the 'Jed Clampett' look that I also favour. A ridge of hair stood up on the back of his neck and ran about ten inches. Where the ridge began, up near his collar, was a swirling of matted short hairs. It was the exact size and shape of a thumbprint. "That's where God put His stamp on him," explained Mavis.

He was one of those Gentle Giants you hear about in the dog world. Never bit anyone even though he could have ripped your throat out if you deserved it. A loud bark but probably too scared to ever do more than that. The patience of a saint.

He taught me that I really do like going for walks along the river first thing in the morning. Even if it is raining and miserably cold. He taught me that you can tell if another dog has been this way and urinated in this particular spot if you sniff hard enough and shove your snout deep enough into the snow. But mostly he taught me how easy it is to love someone without any effort.

As someone else said when eulogizing their own dog - "No, he wasn't the best dog in the world. Only the finest."

The bond between a boy and his dog is one of the strongest and I can't tell you how much I am going to miss that dog.

Goodbye, dear sweet friend. Until we meet again.

... It's going to be Quietsville around here for awhile.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was the embodiment of a Gentle Giant. My thoughts and prayers go out to him, you, and your family.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Thanks Pops. It's much appreciated.

That was fast - I hadn't even finished the correcting my spelling mistakes.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Honey Pot said...

Sonny, I am very sorry about the loss of your friend.

That was a beautiful, from the heart, eulogy you wrote for him.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Sonny, sorry to hear about Paxton.

As you are aware, Paxton and I had a mutual love for smoked oysters, Gouda cheese and turkey burghers.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Sonny, sorry to hear about Paxton.

As you are aware, Paxton and I had a mutual love for smoked oysters, Gouda cheese and turkey burghers.

12:53 PM  
Blogger David Webb said...

"I was his Alpha Male and his best friend. He was my constant companion, choosing to only rarely be out of my sight and going up to bed when I went."

And we must be true to them. As you were.

I am sorry for your loss Sonny. I spend every day, all day, with my dog, and I know how big the hole this will be in your life. And it will be a hole for a while. Sorry.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Crazylegs said...

Damn, Sonny. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Reading your words (and seeing a picture of Paxton with a tear in his eye) pretty much ripped my heart out. Paxton was a good friend, for sure.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Thank you all for those nice words. They really do help.

David, you are absolutely right about that big hole. I fall into it every morning when I come home from work or wake up and realize there's no dog to walk. And that's how I start my day.

Well, enjoy your friend as long as you can. I hope you have many more years together.

3:26 AM  
Blogger comicbooklady said...

My condolences, Sonny, I am sorry for your loss.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Many thanks, Carol -

Hopefully, I'll still have a reason to walk around the neighbourhood tho - if only to look for roosters.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Pagan Mnemosyne said...

I'm so sorry, Sonny.

I was fortunate enough to meet Paxton twice, and you're right--he just defined Gentle Giant. There were other occasions when I'd see you walking him, and it was comforting to see two friends so happy in each other's company.

A good dog.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

I feel lucky that good ol' Paxton fell in love with my leg on several occasions.

I would have gone along with it except for the fact that:

1. I am a happily married man;

2. I have my own dog that I am faithful to;

3. Sonny was watching and was actively discouraging the tryst.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Hey Kid - thanks, it's always nice to hear about oneself being a good person while out in the community. ... Give a honk next time.

And as you know, I was never spotted walking with my friend thru the Wortley Village daily Dog & Pony show. ... I think he's been humiliated enough - what with the Santa hat, reindeer ears, Easter bunny outfit etc.

Butch - I appreciate the compliment and personally know about the high regard you had for Paxton, - but as for doing that 'leg-over' bit, I'm afraid he was a bit of a slut that way.

In fact, a couple of years before he went away, he got in the habit of humping a cushion he would pull off he couch. ... not sure,but when he did, I think I heard him panting,
"Betty, betty ..."

Of course, I blame all that on my Betty Page fixation which is common with all males (be they hetero or homo or canine) who are in their 50s.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home