Thursday, August 07, 2008

Gone Fishin'

Called in sick this morning.

Before I was even dressed. I sat there on the side of the bed, and stared dcwn at the black socks I had just pulled on. I sleep in my socks so I make a point of changing them every morning.

And with the kind of sigh a dog makes, I looked over at my boxers, sleeveless baby-blue undershirt, baby-blue collared shirt, pinstriped pants & suitcoat, and while contemplating just what necktie would tie the whole ensemble together, I realized that I just couldn't do it today.

Yesterday, one of our long-time clients came into the agency. Milt Mortman of Mortman's Maintenance. We'd been creating radio spots for him for years. Probably long before I hired on and sold my soul.

And he wants us to come up with a jingle. Not a new jingle. Just a jingle. His ads have never had a jingle before but he wants one now. To go along with the comedy bits we usually do. Seems Milt's big competitor, Crazy Manny's Maintenance and Dry-Wall have started advertising on another radio station in town. And *they* have a jingle.

"C'mon, am I asking too friggin' much here?" Milt asks. And although all of us in the room inwardly nod the affirmative, none of us say so.

"Geez, how hard can it be?" he continues when all he gets is blank looks. "All you have to do is throw in a few 'shoo-bops' if you can't think of anything else. For what I pay you Westervelt geniuses it shouldn't be any trouble.

"The point is ... Uncle Milton WANTS a jingle. And he ain't leaving till he gets one."

... And as I sat there this morning, still undressed except for the socks, I knew that I couldn't go in there and do it all over again today.

So I called in sick. In the nude. And while in the mood, got in the car and headed down to Sunny Glades, the nudist camp outside of Blenheim. And spent the whole day chillin'.

Swimming, volleyball, playing canasta. Not thinking even once about the advertising game.

And wearing nothing but my black socks the entire day. I realize it's not a good look, but I've always felt self-conscious about my feet. Sometimes modesty becomes me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Get Jimmy Chapman on the case. He does jingles.

He's got more jingles than Bojangles.

The one he did for That Paper Place is a classic.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Thanks, Butch - I've always enjoyed Jimmy C's gift for wedding a good lyric with a nice melody - as in 'I Saw
Elvis at the Western Fair' from his earlier radio days

... but please, please, please don't tell me he's back in the jingle game and may be responsible for that new 'Crabby Joe's' jingle. The one with the 'Crabby' guy that don't even sound like our local 'Crabby.'

Who's the marketing genius who thought that one up?

... and don't tell me that "It was YOU, Crabby Joe."

3:03 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

All I know is that "Picky people pick Poulsen's."

3:33 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

"The competition in London knows us - you should too."

2:54 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

BREAKING NEWS: The landmark Brunswick Hotel under threat of imminent demolition: LACH rolls over like a sleepy lapdog

1. The historic Brunswick Hotel in London is threatened by a July 4, 2008, demolition application.

2. Sadly, the London Advisory Committee on Heritage (LACH) is NOT opposing this demolition application and has even downgraded the landmark Brunswick Hotel from a Priority One (undesignated) heritage property to a Priority Two.

3. The above is bad news, big time.

The demolition application goes to Planning Committee on Monday, August 11. The meeting starts at 4 pm at London city hall.

From the Planning Committee Agenda for August 11: Clause 16:

Brunswick Hotel, 331-335 Talbot Street
"16. That the London Advisory Committee on Heritage (LACH) heard a verbal presentation from D. Dencev, Owner, Brunswick Hotel and received a demolition application dated July 4, 2008 from the Manager of Site Plan Approvals. The LACH indicated that due to the condition of the building, it does not object to the demolition of the building, however, expressed its regret over the loss of a heritage resource. The LACH changed the priority of the property located at 331-335 Talbot Street from a Priority 1 listing to a Priorily 2 listing in the 2006 Inventory of Heritage Resources."

The Brunswick is one of the oldest taverns in London, along with the Richmond Hotel, the Ceeps and Call the Office.

The Brunswick's exterior facade recently underwent extensive repairs (about two to three years ago). I'm still tryng to find out if any public money was used to restore the exterior facade.

This property deserves preservation and designation under the Ontario Heritage Act and should NOT be demolished.

To object, email ASAP, lfisher@london.ca, jbryant@london.ca, gbarber@london.ca, nbransco@london.ca and jbaechle@london.ca.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home