Saturday, January 10, 2009

Two Minute Penalty for Thinking

I don't see what the big deal is about this John Tavaris guy being traded to the London Knights.

Last night was his first game as a Knight and even though London won the game 6 to 1, Tavaris didn't even score a goal. Not even an assist from what I read in the paper. Maybe it was out of loyalty to the the opposing team - which just happened to be the team he was traded from the day before - the Oshawa Generals. But even still, you wonder - if the Knights can win a game by five goals, do they really need this kid?

I understand that when he played for the Generals, he scored lots of goals. But then, just how hard can that be? You take a puck and you shoot it at the net and you aim for one of the spots that the goalie isn't blocking. I bet you that if me and John Tavaris set up a goalie net in my driveway and had a shooting contest, I could get the ball in the net just as many times as him. Maybe even more because I'm older and he's only an 18-year-old kid.

There's nothing too difficult about scoring goals in hockey. I'll grant you that it's not as easy as baseball though. Think about it - a pitcher lobs a baseball RIGHT TO YOU and you hit it with a big fat stick. How hard can that be? And they pay some baseball players over a million dollars for that. Geez, my ten-year-old kid in Little League could do that.

I don't know how much the London Knights paid in the trade to get Tavaris. But it's too late in the season for him to bond with the team and help them win a Memorial Cup in the playoffs. Maybe if he goes to their summer camp and does good at training camp in the fall, he might be able to help the Knights bring home the gold next season but I can't see it happening this year.

So it makes me wonder. Couldn't Knights management have found better a better use with all that trade money? With Orchestra London screaming for cash, couldn't the owners of the Knights make them a donation instead with all those thousands they likely paid for Tavaris?

Or even better yet, hire the Orchestra to play at the hockey arena during games and get the crowd going during lulls in the action. They don't have a pipe-organ down there and a symphony could really lift everyone's spirits by playing those "du-du-du-dun-ta-da" and "dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun" songs that the organ guy used to play at Maple Leaf Gardens.

And that's my sports rap for this week.

8 Comments:

Blogger G. Harrison said...

The trade was discussed in the dressing room yesterday before our rec team played.

Consensus? Hardly.

Strongest points made during discussion:

Can he bring the Memorial Cup to London? Mixed reactions.

Did the Hunters trade away the Knights' future? Maybe. Probably.

Can you wash shin pads? Mine smell really bad.

Conclusion: I'll wait until I see the shooting contest in your driveway. He's only 18, and it's your turf, but he can pick a pocket.

Good post.

GAH

10:13 AM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Thanks Gordo - I've never forgiven the Hunters for so callously trading goalie Steve Mason last year under the same circumstances.

A phone-call as warning would have been nice. Instead he found out - the day before the last and most crucial game of that International Juniors Tournament. Because a reporter had called his mom for verification. Real class move there, Mark and Dale.

As for your shin-pads, I take all my stuff to that place that advertises on CJBK. The place with the cosmic-vaporizer recommended by Joe Thornton.

Just tell them, 'The Godfather' sent me.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Sonny, you're thinking of Knights' forward Bobby Lavoris, not superstar center Johnny Tavares.

Tavares has yet to play a game wearing a Knights' jersey. HIs first game is Sunday, Jan. 11. 2009.

Lavoris, however, pulled six shifts in Friday's game against Oshawa, spending two minutes in the box for looking so good.

The puck bunnies adore him.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

You say 'Lavoris' and I say 'Tavaris',

You say 'tom-ate-o' and I say 'po-tat-o'

2:21 PM  
Blogger Pagan Mnemosyne said...

All I know is that 'Geek Corner' was bounced one whole day because of this brat. Completely ruined my schedule--and I didn't even get a free ticket to the game.

12:33 PM  
Blogger David Webb said...

What? They still play hockey at The Gardens? I stopped caring after Dino Ciccarelli broke his leg. Broke heart.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Not only was 'Geek Corner' bounced - they also didn't do 'Wacko of the Day!'

3:02 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Wackos of the Day?

I nominate the two hosts of the show, Mike and Al.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home