Friday, April 04, 2008

Sweet Jane



Meet Jane the Dane.

It gives me great pleasure to announce that the Drysdale family are now the proud parents of a three-year-old Great Dane. Named Jane.

Jane hails from rural Quebec where she spent the first three years of her life in a puppy mill popping out babies. She comes to us courtesy the good people at the dog-rescue association 'Danes in Distress' and a nice lady named Phyllis, her current foster care-giver.

I had hoped to give Paxton a proper period of grieving after he died six weeks ago. Because if there's one thing I can't stand, it's when someone's life-long husband or wife dies and they go out and right away get remarried while their former spouse is still warm in the grave.

But when the opportunity to get a new Great Dane came up out of the blue, I thought it was time to get on with life. True, I feel a bit like a slut and more than a bit of a hypocrite and it turns out that I'm not quite the person I always thought I was - but so what? That's a small price to pay to once again have a dog for a friend. After having Paxton, I can't imagine life without one.

Or - as Marge Simpson once put it, "Someone to share our love."

The Girl doesn't officially move in for another week but she is slowly adapting on her visits here. Jane certainly isn't no mere replacement or mirror-image dog. Paxton arrived in his middle-age and ready to retire. Whereas, Jane may have retired from baby-making but she's still just barely out of her teens. He was a he and she is a she. He was fawn-coloured and she's black. He said 'Po-tate-oes' and she says 'Toam-aht-toes.' And when unleashed for a romp in the backyard, Paxton would gallop. Jane moves at more of a fast trot. Typically female, she runs just like a girl.

The one thing they have in common is a deep dislike for other dogs. When we go for a walk, just like Paxton, she goes ape-shit at the sight of another dog. Paxton got that from being attacked by a couple of unleashed brutes when he was a puppy. Jane has the same aversion for her fellow canines because of a youth spent cranking out puppies. Apparently she's had enough of her species.

Alas, once again I shall be turned down for membership in the Wortley Village Mutt Club.

Not that I'm complaining. I guess there IS some benefit to owning an unsocial dog after all.

17 Comments:

Blogger Crazylegs said...

Congrats, Sonny. Jane's a looker - all shiny coat and mysterious gaze. And just in time for Spring walks to scare those bastardly geese that foul up (geddit?) the walkways in Harris Park.

I'm happy for you, man. You're no slutty hypocrite - just a guy who loves lots.

You know, I had no idea there was a rescue operation for Danes. Very cool.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

There's something rotten in the State of Denmark and it's not the dogs.

I think it just might be the cheese.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Thanks for those thoughts on dogs, geese and cheese, guys.

Butch - why does Denmark get such a bad rap? I always thought it was pretty gouda.

2:45 AM  
Blogger Honey Pot said...

Jane is a beauty. My Mcduff would go crazy over her. Right now he is seeing a 10 year old husky. I keep telling him not only is she way to old for him, but also too tall. They look sort of silly together, but love is blind. He's a little dog that thinks big. I think he is just into long leggs, and older woman.

It is a good thing you an your family do, giving Jane a warm and caring home.

3:40 AM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

I like McDuff's attitude - if you are going to dream, dream big.

That's how I ended up being Mamie Van Doren's second husband.

5:01 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Danish Havarti is pretty Gouda but consumers have always been ticked off about the holes.

Same with the Swiss cheese.

Talk about a butcher's thumb on the scales ...

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another pet eh? ... gee, I don't know Sonny, it's my belief that all life should be free from cages.... and anyone who disagrees should be put in jail.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS to some readers- it's a joke son, a joke.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Not so fast, pops.

I have seen that dark room in Sonny's basement with cages, strange masks, wigs and whips.

Go down Sonny's street late at night and I hear moaning sounds.

What's it all about, Sonny?

And why the oversized doggies?

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well I don't know about that Butch,... hmmm,.. he did take me to see Pulp Fiction but in his defense, he did'nt invite me in after the movie.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

bobpegg@ro9gers.comI will not be held responsible for that old tired saw "Bring out the geek."

for one thing, I have no rightful claim to geekness.

for another, altho it's true that Pops & I saw 'Pulp Fiction' in a grindhouse cinema east of Adelaide, after that Pops went into the loading dock behind Anthony's Big Shoe Store - and that's where he plugged Johnson - because the stupid sap knew too much about the McAllister Case.

And if Pops didn't do it, I would have. And if it hadn't Deputy Barney would have started blabbing it all over town about how I was getting a little on the side from Helen Crump. And what, with her bein' a school-teacher and all ...

DEAR READER - THIS POST WILL BE CONTINUED WHEN AND IF YOU WISH TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE STORY.

I beg of you people, please , please , please come up with someknd of plat line fr ths. ...

can't keep tyhping, at momen6t - Mr. "H" Rider Haggard wonts to use tnhe typin machin.

Must sign off now - At;amtos dod esxosxt.

Amd as isi9aa; - Pegg is tiill Night Staf po yeqar.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Pops - as Foghorn would say, right over their heads, son. Right over their heads.

That boy is noisier than a skeleton having a fit on a tin roof.

Speaking of which, Butch - was that you who slipped me a mickey last night? Or was it just the opium?

3:26 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Like I said, lotsa moanin' and groanin' when the sun goes down at Sonny's place.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Pagan Mnemosyne said...

Hey! She's gorgeous, Sonny. And it's so good to hear she's being delivered from that hell of a puppy mill to a good home that will treat her like the goddess she is.

I hereby appoint Jane Queen of all the Wortley Road dogs. May they pay obeisance as her courtier walks her among her people.

All hail Queen Jane!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Thanks Kid - Queen Jane does have a nice sound to it.

But she's kind of humble but loveable.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Sonny, give her the Tarzan yell and see how she reacts.

11:48 AM  
Blogger David Webb said...

Dogs are good. Congratulations Sonny.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home