Sunday, March 02, 2008

There's This - and there's This





Okay - this is one of the reasons I'm not good at blogging. I don't know how to cut&paste and how to upload in proper sequence. So bear in mind that all the commentary written below follows the opposite of the order in which the above art works are in. In other words - first is last and last is first and the one in the middle is the one in the middle. I hope.

anyhoo, ... Not sure, but I think this is called 'Summer of '52' and done in the early 1970s - post-graduation from the Beal Art program. It's one of the first of many of the paintings he would do based on snapshots taken from the family photo album and yes, that is him pushing the toy lawn-mower.

And then we have 'Father and Son,' this being a pencil drawing you can occassionally see on display at the Big Art Gallery at the Forks of the Thames. Another of those posed family photos, it's from a very brief period where the 'Neighbours' style was merging with the 'realism.' I love the way those people are being swallowed up in those huge coats. And look at the detail of that fence and the pebbles on the ground. You know, if it wasn't for those small heads, you'd swear you were looking at a photograph.


I don't really have anything to say about this last one of the guy bursting through the door to get out of the cold. Other than it's cool. I like it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Honey Pot said...

I really like the second one down. The two guys up against the tree. Just somethings you look at more than others.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

The middle one is my fave too, Honey Pot. I like those crazy branches.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Honey Pot said...

There is something about that picture. It is our fathers and our grandfathers. It is like a small child would see it, looking up. It narrows at the top. It is a good picture, it makes memories come back. I have it in my mind since you put it here. My father died when I was six, and my grandfather when I was eight. I have not thought about them for years. That picture helped me go back and remember. That was a good gift from Brian Jones.

2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home