Saturday, May 31, 2008

For Jim Dandy



The photo says it all.

For anyone needing further convincing that barbequing is more than "charring dead animal flesh over the fire-pit," I offer the following column from the Sonny Drysdale Archives. Of a May, this year vintage. Ah, Springtime of 2008. Courtesy of the good people from 'ARTscape' magazine and reprinted here without their permission or knowledge.

... The first weekend of May marks the opening of trout season. I'll be missing it. I come from a long line of fishermen. Fishing is in my blood. It's encoded in my DNA. But it's not for me. As Steven Wright once noted, "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on a dock looking like an idiot."

I don't golf either.

Therefore, I barbeque.

As one of those warm-weather manly pursuits of dubious merit, outdoor grilling is more in my line. All three of the above-mentioned activities are what get men throught the long Canadian winter. The dream of spring and summer is what keeps us going. Whether it's time spent holding a putter, a rod & reel or a pair of tongs, all involve huge blocks of time and the consumption of alcohol. I suppose I could say the same thing about chasing skirt on a Richmond Row patio as well. But quite frankly, I'm just as happy with a chilled can of Ol' Milwaukee in my hand and a good steak on the old grill.

Not that I take the Art of BBQ to the same fanatical extremes as some men. However, I am a bit of a purist about some things. No propane-fuelled portable kitchen ranges for me. I'm a simple man. Just some charcoal and one of those big orb-shaped Weber grills is all I need.

And music.

Because due to the slow-burning nature of charcoal, my kind of barbeque is an all-afternoon Event. If I'm going to be standing around the backyard for hours on end, it is essential to have just the right music to pass the time while declining the opportunity to help garden because I'm wearing oven-mits. As a wise man once observed, "There's a fine line between barbequing and standing on a deck looking like an idiot."

And that's why I prefer grilling to fishing or golf. There's no need for music when golfing. You have the camaraderie of your friends and jokes memorized from 'Playboys' Ribald Bathroom Companion of Golf Humour.' And of course, no self-respecting angler would even consider bringing along a boom-box to the river. It would scare away the fish.

But it wouldn't be a backyard barbeque without music. No more than it would be without beer or wine. It's just not done.

And it can't be just any music. Shame on the grill-master who lazily tunes in FM-96 or 'The Hawk.' During early autumn, the ball game is permissable but only during the World Series. Same for the fall finale of the Stanely Cup playoffs.

As for the actual music. I only have three rules. Rule # 1 - It must be somewhat outdoorsy and warm and breezy. Hence lots of Jonathan Richman and Antonio Carlos Jobin and 'Pet Sounds.' Rule #2 - no Jimmy Buffet is allowed. Sorry, but this ain't no Margaritaville, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around.

And Rule #3 - Obey all rules.

Because even though an authentic barbeque is a connection to our most primal condition - it's all about burning a dead animal to ensure our survival after all - all that death & noble spirit business aside, a barbeque is essentially about Life.

So out of respect for those who have barbequed before me and all those who will char meat long after I'm gone, I like to crank the music up to a level that my neighbours too will remember after the coals turn white and then to ash and dust.

It is important to let them know what they are in for from the moment you plug in the portable stereo. At one time, 'Tom Jones Greatest Hits,' kicking things off with 'It's Not Unusual,' was my first choice for the traditional Lighting of the Coals.

But as I get older, I find myself going even further back in my musical memory and settle on something from less than a decade earlier than the first pair of panties tossed Tom-ways.

'Nuggets' is a compilation of original garage and '60s punk put out by Rhino Records in 1986. As I carefully arrange my coals into a pyramid, while liberally soaking them in BBQ-lighter fluid, I drown out the potential sound of fire-trucks with 'Dirty Water,' by The Standells, followed closely by 'Psychotic Reaction' by Count Five, the Easybeats' 'Friday on my Mind,' and 'Let's Talk About Girls,' by the Chocolate Watchband.

All of this was recorded over four decades ago but it'll still get your lawn-chair a'rockin.' For this is the Eternal music of Youth.

By the time the coals get their first layer of ash and a second dousing of combustibles and the flames rise again, is right about the time we get to the ninth song - and the real reason why I play this particular CD in the first place. 'Pleasant Valley Sunday,' by The Monkees.

I ask you, on a nice sunny day, with just a hint of a breeze, are there any more welcome lyrics to be heard than those penned by Gerry Goffin and Carole King: "Just another Pleasant Valley Sunday/Charcoal burning everywhere."

From Mike Nesmith's opening Beatlesque guitar riff to Mickey Dolenz' angsty vocals (thank God they didn't give this one to Davey to sing,) it just doesn't get much better than this. I'm even willing to overlook the typically-60s counter-culture put-downs of middle-aged middle-class bourgois home-owners whose major crimes apparently are that they are proud of their roses being in bloom and the fact that they have a TV-set in every room of one of those "Rows of houses that look all the same/And no one seems to care."

Being middle-aged and belonging to the lower rungs of middle-class, I now find such social commentary amusing. And so it's with pride that I crank the song up for the rest of my neighbourhood. I consider it my duty to do so.

So I also like to share with them my favorite cover version of the Standell's 'Dirty Water.' It was recorded in the 1980s by a London punk band called 'The Inmates.' All Londoners - and especially those band-wagon jumpers who have recently discovered we have a river running all through town, should swell with pride at hearing how the Inmates have slightly changed the lyrics so that they are now singing about "the banks of the River Thames," and then proudly proclaim, "LONDON, your my home!"

True, they're really singing about London, Engalund - but who cares?

12 Comments:

Blogger Crazylegs said...

Party Quarts kinda says it all. And the pipe.

Oh! And the fact that a chick's hand is pouring the Quart. Chicks didn't drink Quarts back then, right? I'm just sayin' it was a simpler time.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Crazy, man, crazy -

- they don't let me out often, but bak-innda-day, it was so hard to find a place that served 'Quarts', I'd consider it very 'Hi Class' if it was poured by a manicured female appendage.

12:34 PM  
Blogger David Webb said...

Thanks for graphic (now my desktop background), but your barbeque is more sincere, and your music is cooler by a country mile. I have some work to do. Especially in the volume department--my stuff is way too low and barely irritating to the neighbours. What was I thinking with the Andy Williams when I could have been playing better stuff? I am a clueless half-wit. But at least I am now an inspired half-wit.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Actually, I can forsee a world in which Andy Williams played at a sensible volume would rock.

Or Neil Diamond for that matter.

3:02 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians is the way to go for outdoor, elegant orgies involving ram-fed&loaded men who want to stuffandmount their partners.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

I've heard of Lombardo. Didn't he sell over two or three million dollars worth of records during his career? I don't think anyone from London has done that other than Guy.

4:03 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Look up, way up and I'll call Musty.

Three-hundred-million records. One of the biggest superstars ever, in the history of the recording industry.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

The story of the Lombardo musical family reads like a true Cinderella tale.

Leaving London in 1924 for the U.S. with one gig set up in advance, then making it big with their live performances, on the radio, writing original songs, recording hundreds of vinyl records and in the movies.

The toast of Chicago, New York, Hollywood and all points in between.

Hobnobbing with the rich and famous, Guy became a championship speedboat racer and then the proprietor of a classy restaurant in Freeport, New York.

The Lombardo sound helped define two-and-a-half generations. Always humble, never forgetting their roots in London, Ontario.

Loved by all and never involved in any scandal during their lengthy career.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

But he never had his picture on a bubblegum card.

How can you say someone is famous if they've never had their picture on a bubblegum card?

4:17 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Sonny, I don't know about the bubblegum card, but I do know that in 1974 President Richard M. Nixon ordered that Guy Lombardo's face be put on a limited edition series (50,000 I think) of American $50-bills to commemorate Lombardo's 50 years in show business in the U.S.

They're extremely rare and collectible.

Tyrone Traher had one displayed at the Guy Lombardo Music Centre. I'm not sure if the bill is still there or not.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Roger said...

Actually, I believe they were one dollar bills - and so much stuff has gone missing from the Guy Lombardo Centre under the watchful eye of its most recent caretakers that it would be surprising if anything of value remains there...they've misplaced even the register of items and artifacts and who owns them!

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home