Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dead Man Walking



I recently read one of those 'What's Hot/What's Not' lists for the coming decade and apparently zombies are now considered 'in' and vampires are 'out.'

Yes, according to YM magazine, it seems that zombies are more popular with the young people these days. I'm more of a vampire kind of guy. Vampires are sexy. Vampires are cool. Vampires are me. ... Well, kinda sorta.

Unfortunately I could never really pull off that whole 'Goth' thing that initially attracted the kids to vampirism. No matter how many shades of black I dyed my hair, it just doesn't cut it when combined with a slightly-receding hairline, a 'Zippidy-doo-dah' personality and a wardrobe consisting entirely of Hawaiian shirts.

Lemme tell ya, without the pointy capped teeth and Johnny Cash threads, it's hard to make it in London's Goth community.

Not so with local Zombie enthusiasts. They're all-inclusive. Anyone can become a zombie. They don't hang out in private after-hours clubs sipping claret, quoting Rimbaud and staring and your ripe alabaster throat. Nope, townie zombies even have their own annual Zombie Walk through downtown. Anyone can join. All are invited.

The second annual walk kicks off tomorrow afternoon - Sunday, October 26th at 4:00 at the corner of Wellington and Clarence. A parade through the downtown core follows.

Last year hundreds of people showed up in full zombie uniform of blood and guts. I must say that vampires are better dressers and have more style and flair but I give zombies credit for their commitment. The local vampire community on the other hand, were lucky if they could get their act together to organize the annual pot-luck swingers party.

I won't be joining in the walk. I occassionally enjoy a walk off the beaten path or a stroll down the road less travelled. But those zombies like to shuffle. And what with my trick knee and all ...

Instead I will cheer from the sidewalk as I watch the parade of death pass me by.

Then I will go home and listen to Osterborg's new self-titled CD with its 13-minute opus 'The Living Dead' based on the movie about the Night of.

The band describe their style of music as 'Hypno-Jive.' And that's a good term for it - because it's otherworldly, hypno-tizing stuff.

'Nachtmusik,' is another term they use - self-described as "Music best enjoyed during the period of darkness between sunset and sunrise."

As such, it's the kind of thing ideally listened to at about three in the morning on those occassions when you need more than Sinatra. It's soundtrack music for all creatures of the night - zombies, the graveyard shift, nighthawks, the still-loaded, the always alone and even vampires.

It also has a nice beat and is good to dance to - especially that new dance craze the kids are all so crazy about these days, 'The Zombie Shuffle.'

1 Comments:

Blogger Butch McLarty said...

To me, zombies represent all the people in this world who are sleepwalking through their empty lives -- lives which are devoid of any real meaning because they are focussed on superficials.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home