Tuesday, August 15, 2006

It's Official

The results are in and it is now official. I went to a family reunion on the weekend and the general consensus among the young people in attendence was that I was probably the uncoolest adult there.

And not only there - and not only in Staffordville that day. But on the whole planet.

Actually opinion was a bit mixed. I was either "uncool" or "unhip." Apparently, the word amongst the kids today (including my own three teenagers,) was that I was variously - "not cool," "hopelessly uncool," and as the final word on the subject - "terminally uncool."

Well, that settles that. Of course, none of this should come as any surprise to anyone who knows of my life-long obsession with bubblegum music. But still, it's a bit rough to hear that I am officially "out of it" from people who don't know of any cultural event prior to the Beastie Boys.

But, fair enough. I've never claimed to be 'cool' in a "Straight from the fridge, Dad!" kind of way. Even in high school, I knew better than to even pretend to aspire to such a lofty self-image as the kind projected by the registered cool kids.

But "unhip"? Geez, that hurt. I've always prided myself on being at least slightly hip. If only in the sense that next to no one shared my taste in most things. In the sense that only a few people got my jokes. And most importantly, in that I liked the kind of music that not only my parents hated but that most of my peers did as well. Now, that's hip.

Unhip? I read all the right magazines. I read all the right novels and bad poetry filled with angst and nihilism. I used to be able to quote Leonard Cohen at the drop of a beret. I listened to Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music. And not just once. I was the first - and only - person in my Grade 13 class to have even heard of the Ramones. I was the only person I know to pick up the debut Blondie album - and smart enough to disown them as soon as the crappy radio hits followed. I was ironic before ironing caught on as a cultural touchstone. Why I once had lunch with that icon of cool Jim Dean - and never even asked for his autograph. Man, that guy made great sausages.

And even tho I once dated a stewardess, I wasn't the type to brag about it. That's what being cool and hip is all about. But that was then, and as I've been told, this is now.

So just what did I do to deserve this fall from grace with these relative self-appointed arbitors of all matters cool?

I raved enthusiastically in public about Smoosh, a new 'rock' band consisting of two sisters. A 12-year-old on drums. And a 14-year-old on keyboards and vocals. That was my crime. And to make matters even worse, I then bragged about owning their CD. I think you could have heard their laughter as far away as Aylmer.

But I stand by my taste. It's hard to get insulted by the same people who gave the world Billy Talent and Ashlee Simpson. Besides, I knew right from the get-go that despite their ages, Smoosh was no teeny-bopper band. They were the real deal. A week earlier I had been flicking the channels on the remote on the late late-night talk shows. Craig the Scottish guy was doing a 10-minute monologue on something he almost forgot the point of. On Conan, Abe Vigoda was doing a silent skit with a guy in a masturbating bear costume. And on Jimmy Kimmel, something even more bizarre - two little white girls were rocking like the best of them. And the audience were actually into it and responded respectfully and enthusiastically. And strangest of all, Jimmy Kimmel, the most annoying and rudest, jaded and misogynistic of the late-night hosts, didn't even make fun of them - not even of their admittedly stupid name, Smoosh.

So what the hell. The next day I bought their CD. I had done the same thing after seeing Nine Black Elfs on the same show. And found that the only good song on the whole CD was the hit they did on the show. The rest was that all-sound-the-same crap you hear on FM 96.

Not so with Free to Stay by Smoosh. Every song was different. Every song was good.And sounded like nothing I had ever heard before. What more can you ask? True, the vocals sound like what you might expect from a 14-year-old girl, but what can you do?

Despite what the too-cool-for-school contingent think, I predict great things from this band. Three decades ago I was dead on in predicting the enduring popularity of the Partridge Family. I was publicly ridiculed in high school over that one. True, my similar announcement about 'Hanson' a few years ago has not yet come true, but time may prove me right.

So I predict big things for Smoosh before the inevitable solo career of 14-year-old Asya.And if I'm wrong, I'll eat my Archies Greatest Hits record.

8 Comments:

Blogger Butch McLarty said...

If you're not cool, you're hot, some what's the difference?

A warm sweater is very good in winter -- don't even touch it in summer!

Shorts and a T-Shirt are great in summer -- but you bundle up in Winter!

Honey Pot Sugar Scoop can watch your back in a Rumble, but when it's smooth sailing she'll find a way to smack you on the back of the head with a claw hammer!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

If you're not cool, you're hot, SO what's the difference?

Typos are so UNCOOL!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Butch - you're so hip, you're hep.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Sonny, lend me your comb, then peel me a grape!

Which way to the beach, daddio?

Where's the sandbox 'cause this cat's gotta go?

Snap me a cap and let's have a brew ...

9:03 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

It's my party and I can cry if I want to, cry if I want to ... Wha wha wha! Wha wha wha!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

OK Knot-Hole Gang, here's the scoop:

The IBL championship series between the London Majors Baseball Club and the Brantford Red Sox (both teams are hot hot hot) starts on FRIDAY NIGHT IN BRANTFORD (August 18).

Game Two is in London at Labatt Park on Sunday, August 20 at 1 p.m. (www.londonmajors.com)

Playoff tickets are $7 for adults at the gate. At the concession booths, there's hot dogs, sausages, popcorn, drinks and ice cream.

Unfortunately, marijuana is not sold at the park so you're expected to bring your own and share it with the first person you see wearing a pony tail.

If you like fast-paced, quality baseball, here's your chance to see it played by the two best teams in the Intercounty Baseball League -- at the undisputed world's oldest baseball grounds (since 1877).

(For the history of Labatt Park, check out its history on Wikipedia, the free online encylopedia which receives more than 9-million hits a day and which has more than 2 million registered users, contributors and editors. There are more than 1.3-million articles on the English Wikipedia.)

The London Majors have assembled one of the most talented teams in the past 30 years, thanks to co-owners Scott Dart and Roop Chanderdat. Roop is also the GM and field manager.

The historic Roy McKay Clubhouse at Labatt Park (a designated heritage building under the Ontario Heritage Act) is open for tours prior to all playoff games. It's loaded with baseball memorabilia.

Here's the URLs on Wikipedia to check out if you've an interest in local baseball history etc.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labatt_Park
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Tecumsehs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Majors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercounty_Baseball_League
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Gibson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Goldsmith
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Association
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Tigers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Kilkenny
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Ontario
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_Cummings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friends_of_Labatt_Park

11:04 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

THIS JUST IN: The Majors' first home game against the Brantford Red Sox in the IBL championship series starts at 5 p.m. on Sunday the 20th at Labatt Park, not 1 p.m. as previously cited. Just talked to Scott Dart, co-owner of the London Majors.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Sparks? Aren't they that band with Jane Wiedlin from the Go-Go's?

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home