Sunday, February 25, 2007

Ooooh, Happy Anniversary, Happy Anniversary!

Wow, one whole year of Sonny Drysdale Presents!

And they said it would never last.

Actually, I was the one who said it would never last. One year ago today, I was visiting Kid Dork's blog and after having read something about Bizarro Superman versus Bizarro Batman, I just had to respond. But when I tried to leave a rebuttal, I was told I had to be a registered blogger in order to post comments.

And that whole issue of who was better - Supe's or Picard was just so important that I registered and found myself the owner of my own blog. And not knowing what to do with it. To tell you the truth, I never thought of myself as cool enough to host my own blog. Oh, sure leaving one-line smartass comments on someone else's blog, that comes easy. But coming up with something interesting to say on a daily basis, now that's hard. And some day I just might try to do it.

It all started innocently enough, I left my comment re: Kirk vs the Dark Knight on Kid Dork's site and thought that would be the end of it. I didn't really have anything to say on my own blog.

But the next day, Don Knotts died. Well shit, I had to say something.

And the day after that Darrin McGavin died. He stalks the night nevermore.

And that very same weekened Dennis ("McCloud") Weaver died. Within a matter of days, three television icons had died. And their first names all started with the letter 'D' - well, how could I let that one slip by.

And then no one famous died for few days so I made up an obituary for Howard ("Howie") Engelman, the inventor of the concept of slicing egg-salad sandwiches on a diagonal rather than the traditional straight cut. Howie won a Nobel Prize in catering for that groundbreaking innovation. Oh, I made up Howie too.

And that's when it occured to me, you know - I'm starting to like this blogging stuff. This is kinda fun. So I had business cards printed up, began getting my blog name out there in print with some well-placed mentions in ARTscape Magazine. And then Butch at Alt-London linked up to this site. Dan Brown and Jennifer O'Brien mentioned it at the Free Press web-site - and shortly after that offers for advertising started to come in. I didn't accept any (as you may have noticed,) because I don't want The Man dictating to me what I can and can't blog about. Or telling me how to write. Or that I can't grammatically end a sentence with a word like 'about.'

And just as well, because if I did accept advertiser's dollars, they would expect me to blog about their products and services. And I just can't do that. I can't be a shill. I have to blog about the things that are important to me.

Remember the time I blogged about that dead squirrel who laid at the side of the road for weeks until I finally scooped him up with a shovel? Or that time I blogged about James Looney's To-Do List? That was sooo cool. And the time I blogged about the inherent beauty to be found in pulling out a thick pad of dryer-lint from the lint trap?

Wow, memories. ... We sure did have some crazy times, didn't we?

Well, there's no reason that has to end just because I got through an entire year. Seventy-four posted blogs, incidently. That's about 62 more than my number of legitimate actually-published articles for last 12 months.

At this time, I would appreciate it if we could all bow out heads and give thanks and reflect a little upon what each of us might have learned here at SonnyDrysdalePresents.

.... well, how to cut egg-salad sandwiches on a diagonal would be one thing. .... So would never ending a sentence with a word like "about" because it's a prepositon or an adverb or something.

Keep those cards and letters coming. And thanks for visiting.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pagan Mnemosyne said...

Congratulations, Sonny! One year old! And you didn't break the Innernet! Here's to many more years of in depth conversation on Don Knotts and that old slaphead Picard!.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Thanks KD - and of course, I owe it all to you. Take a bow, ol' sport! (or the blame, whatever the case may be.)

11:56 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

I think you should branch out into hats, T-shirts and other assorted swag such as keychains and matches.

Congratulations, Mr. Drysdale!

Hook up with Google AdSense and you get so much a click from your readers.

Works out to be a few hundred bucks a month, depending on the traffic to your site. Pin money to spend in a creative city.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Crazylegs said...

Tonight I'm blowing out a candle for your first blogbirthday, Sonny. Kudos on making it through a whole year!

I took a stroll down memory lane and randomly selected your post from July 31, 2006 intriguingly titled "The Not-So Secret Elephant Burial Grounds". I have to say how mildly disappointed I was to see no mention of Gord Hume or Cheryl Miller.

Let's focus a bit for Year 2, eh?

1:30 PM  
Blogger Pagan Mnemosyne said...

http://www.bigfinish.com/darkshadows/index.shtml

Have you seen this?

7:04 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Thanks for all your kind cards and letters.

Check out the latest blog in a few days to a week.

... I've heard of those Dark Shadows tapes, KD. But I'm still working my way thru about a hundred tapes of the original series.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home