Saturday, July 21, 2007

Some Things I've Learned on the Picket-Line

It's now officially a month that I've been out on strike with my OPSEU brothers and sisters against our employer Community Living London which is financed by Premier Dalton McGuinty's Liberal provincial government.

I've tried to keep my sanity by parking my brain in an idling position. Hence, the shortage of blogging on this site as of late. But I have managed to notice a couple of things that normally wouldn't have occured to me had I not been on strike.

So, here they are -

1. Dalton McGuinty probably doesn't read my blog. Four weeks and two posts ago I issued a challenge to Dalton on this very site, that I was going to smoke one cigarette every time I had to show up on a picket line. But to this date, he hasn't even responded. He either doesn't read this blog or he's a cruel heartless reptilian from outer space who also kills kittens. The bastard.

2. Porta-potties make a nice visual addition to any suburban neighbourhood - especially those new parts of town where the only shade comes from newly-planted saplings. The presence of these bright green-and-yellow moveable outhouses gives suburban streetscapes an almost surreal touch. It's very Tim Burton. Also somewhat reminiscent of Europe after the war.

3. Although most women have an aversion to uttering the swear-word "Muthafukka," if scabs are involved and trying to cross a picket-line to do our jobs, most women are capable of hurling expletive-deleted insults and cussing like sailors.

4. No one under the age of 30 has ever heard of Wally Cox. No one under the age of 25 has ever heard of Marlon Brando (the actor.)

5. That 'urban dance music' stuff gets old real fast. Especially when played at high volume.

6. Any loudmouth parent who tells the media that her developmentally-challenged kid is now being taken better care of by replacement workers and that the home the kid lived in was a pig-sty before the strike is a lousy parent. If that was all true, what kind of parent willingly keeps her child in a place if the conditions are really as appalling as she alleges? Nice try, lady.

7. Never believe anythng you read in the media. Try not to feel too insulted when management is quoted as saying "We are coping quite well, thank you." And conversely, take anything said in the media by the Grand Pooh-Bahs of your union executive with a big grain of salt.

8. The strategy of both sides of a strike boils down to this - each side is waiting for the other to pick up the phone and make the first phone call. In the meantime, the workers who walk the picket-lines wait. And wait.

9. Even after a month, I still haven't become bitter or cynical and as of yet, haven't woken up dreading having to be on a picket line at 8 a.m. Did I mention that I've parked my brain for the past month?

10. I am really enjoying my bike-ride to my picket location on Adelaide Steet South because I can take the bike paths along the river almost all the way there. So far I've seen a snake, a turtle, a blue heron, a couple of bunnies, a ground-hog, baby ducklings, hawks, about 800 squirrels and a DEER. One morning, shortly after I passed Wellington, a young deer came bounding out of the trees along the river, crossed the bike-path, stopped about fifty feet away in a clearing. I got off my bike and we just stared at each other until it finally sauntered off into the woods. I guess it was just waiting to see if I was going to pull a shot-gun out of my purse before it decided that I wasn't a threat. I've never seen a deer in the city before so it was like something out of 'Bambi.'

11. On the same bike-path I also regularly come across some pretty rough-looking characters and neer-do-wells the closer I get to Wellington. I've seen people sleeping under the Wellington Road bridge on the rainy mornings. The other day I saw a young good-looking slightly-rumpled prostitute stepping out of the brush behind Labatt's between Ridout and Richmond. Of course, there's always the chance that she wasn't a prostitute - but who wears high heels on a nature trail?

12. Even if a cement truck is showing no respect for the picket-line and almost runs you down and keeps nudging you with the front of his truck, you don't back down. As it happened to me two weeks ago. You stand your ground. You look straight into the face of Death and laugh. I tell you it was just like Tiannamon Square. Well, without the being-flattened part.

13. Contrary to popular belief, 20 hours a week of picket-duty is harder work than a full-time job. Nothing can be more monotonous than walking back and forth carrying a sign. It's mind-numbing and soul-draining and until you are used to it, leaves you emotinally and physically exhausted. Don't beleive me? Well, walk a mile in my brain, pal.

14. Toronto is the capital of the provincial government. Ottawa is the capital of the federal government.

15. My kid is turning into quite the cook. By disregarding the directions on the Kraft Dinner box and adding too much milk, he makes a great Kraft Dinner soup.

16. I don't care how low the strike-pay is or how poor I get, I'll always be able to find the money for Ding-Dongs. Same goes for my bowling night and my weekly cribbage-match with the boys every Saturday afternoon down at 'Hooters.'

17. You can get just as bombed on an $11 carton of wine as you can off a thirty-dollar bottle.

14 Comments:

Blogger Honey Pot said...

Hang in there Sonny.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Hokey smokes! You mean to tell me someone is actually still reading this thing?

Many thanks as usual, H.P.

Power to the people! Right on.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Sonny, I saw your reference to "Adelaide Street North."

Should that be "Adelaide Street South"

The south branch of the Thames River is the north-south boundary for Adelaide Street. No many people know that. Same as for Wellington.

South of the river is Wellington Road. North of the river is Wellington Street

North of the Macon Dixon Line is Yankee Country.

Hey Honey Pot ... you still want to drink some beer down by the riverside with me and three chesse-making monks?

1:54 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Correction: Make that "cheese-making monks with their doctorates in divinity."

1:55 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Sonny, Honey Pot wrote this and e-mailed it to me. Apparently she's too shy to post it herself:

Sonny
Yesterday my life was filled with rain
Sonny
You smiled at me and really eased the pain
Oh the dark days are gone and the bright days are here
My sonny one is shines sincere
Sonny, one so true
I love you
Sonny
Thank you the sunshine bouquet
Woah, Sonny, thank you love that you brought my way
Oh now you gave to me your all and all
And now i feel like im ten feet tall
Sonny, one so true
I love you
Thank you for the truth that you made me see
Sonny
Thank you for the facts, from A to Z
My life was torn like a wind-blown sand
And then a rock was formed when we held hands
Now Sonny, one so true
I love you ...)
Sonny
Thank you for the smile thats upon your face
Sonny
Thank you for that gleam that flows with grace
Your my spark of natures fire
Your my sweet, complete desire
Sonny, one so true
I love you

3:27 PM  
Blogger David Webb said...

Thanks for the dose of reality and sanity. And the tip on the box of wine!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

David - the best thing about those cardboard 'tetra' packs of wine is that you don't have to worry about cutting yourself if you fall off your bike on the way home from the Likka Sto.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Here's the latest news regarding Labatt Park:

1. On Saturday night at the park, the London Silverbacks Football Club were to play their 2007
"homeopener" against the Northern Ohio Raiders at 7 p.m. Well, the Northern Ohio Raiders failed to show up for who knows what reason so the Silverbacks won on a
forfeiture. Good news as the field didn't get torn up. Just four more home games to go before they're gone. Real solid league, eh? Perhaps Northern Ohio didn't want to play a football game on a baseball field.

2. Here's the real kicker. I drove down to the park about 8:45 p.m. and discovered that the London
Silverbacks' cheerleaders were using the Roy McKay Clubhouse as a change room. The door was wide open and they were just leaving. The door probably would have
been left open for some time after they left, before park staff locked it back up. No notification from the City on this one. Sure, the City owns the building but
the Friends of Labatt Park have some display stuff still in there. Definitely time to pack it up and get the hell out.

3. END OF REGULAR SEASON: This afternoon, the London Majors defeated the Stratford Nationals 4-3 in 12 innings. The win gives London a 15-21 win-loss record on the season, likely facing Toronto or Brantford in the first round of the playoffs. Stratford is out of the playoffs with a 9-27 win-loss record.

4. Honey Pot Sugar Scoop showed up for this ball game, eating several ice cream cones in the stands, during wehich she made provocative gestures with her tongue. BOING BOING BOING!

2:39 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

That's too bad about Northern Ohio. I had been hoping that this was going to be the Raiders' year.

2:19 AM  
Blogger Honey Pot said...

Butch, you're the horniest man I know, getting all excited about an ice-cream cone. Too bad I gave up that wild monkey dancing years ago.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Why, Honey Pot, you always knew that I had a hard spot in my trousers for you.

Sonny feels the same way, don't you, Sonny?

1:47 PM  
Blogger Honey Pot said...

Sonny, time for a new story. You might not feel like making us laugh, but it will be good for you.

Butch do you think about anything else other than your pecker? Honestly, you act like pimply faced 14 year old.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Honey Pot said...

...and Butch, it has been my observation that guys who are obsessed with their tallywhackers, are usually hung like hamsters.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Tallywhacker! Wat dat? Hung like a hamster ... how about a donkey?

Sugar Scoop, I've never been obsessed with the male anatomy. Doesn't interest me a bit.

Bull dykes on the other hand ...

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home