Friday, August 31, 2007

Local Dad Mocked by Own Children

Raucous laughter and hoots of derision greeted Sonny Drysdale, middle-aged father of three teenagers when he recently announced at the dinner table that he had joined 'Facebook.'

"Dad, you're too old for Facebook," the middle-child informed her 53-year-old parent. It was the most diplomatic of the various responses, most of which involved much guffawing and chortling from not only Mr. Drysdale's own flesh and blood but also his wife, Mavis.

Drysdale denied joining the popular Internet social network as a pathetic attempt to be 'cool' or 'with it.'

"Initially, I signed up simply as a means of promoting my Nikki Hilton fan-site," explained Drysdale. "My page devoted to Nikki on MySpace just wasn't cutting it for us anymore."

"But since becoming a member of the Facebook community, its become a handy communication tool for work," added Drysdale who works as the night-manager of a local Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise.

"Not only is it a great way of bonding with my young staff - but now, when they call in sick on the weekend or if I'm short-staffed - thanks to Facebook, now I know where to find them.

"Plus, I can read all about their lives away-from-work and look into what kind of people they call 'friends.' And if I happen to read something on their 'wall' which might suggest they're having a bad time, well - believe it or not, but I was once a teenager too you know - and so I can always give them a 'poke' just to let them know I'm there for them and it'll hold them over till I see them at work and can discreetly ask if they need to 'rap' about anything.

"When most of your work-force is comprised of teenagers, believe you me, there's more to being a good manager than just threatening to fire them. And that's what a 'Super-poke' is for."

Drysdale's own children - or "youngsters" as he refers to them - were metaphorically 'hushed' and had their 'traps shut' upon checking out their father's Facebook profile after they had cleared the table and washed the supper dishee.

Only a few hours after having joined Facebook's 'London, ON' network, he had hooked up with former classmates from high-school and the seminary as well as old friends from Mary Brown's Chicken and the London Club and new friends from the KFC convention in New Orleans he attended for two months last year.

In one mere afternoon of Internet 'networking,' he had collected more 'friends' than all three of his kids combined.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home