Saturday, August 18, 2007

New Contest!

So, I'm at Call The Office last night. Me and the boy got up at 11:30 to go see London's legendary lunk-heads - '63 Monroe (and I mean that as a compliment - see previous posts on how 'Shemp' was the best Stooge of them all - possibly the best in his own family,) and this middle-aged woman I've never met before comes up to me while the band is playng and presents me with a moral conundrum.

Now - I should point out that - unless specified on the concert ticket, all shows at Call the Office are all-ages shows. Me and Gnut (age 13) get there and I give him a tour of the layout of the inside and patio, show him where the washroom is and let him know that "And I'll be here, right outside the door if you need me."

And them we met some rock stars - Peter DeKoker, the bass-player, MC-extraordinaire and resident Bacharach/David of '63 Monroe - and them Michael McGill, bassist, lead singer of London's legendary Legend Killers. And the tallest guy in town.

I should also point out that Peter is a dead-ringer for that Ned Flanders-like neighbourhood know-it-all who used to be in those Canadian Tire commercials. And Michael could probably be the poster-boy for white bread. He's clean-cut and as wholesome looking as the day is long.

So there you go - I've set the scene - it's the boy's first trip to see a 'real' rock band in a prime venue. I would have taken him to see the White Stripes play behind an abandoned flour mill in Arva a few weeks ago - but nooooo, I was too involved in the 'cowboy' movie I was watching at the time.

Anyway, Gnut and I are standing there near the stage, digging the on-stage musical antics of Steven R. Stunning and company and this middle-aged lady in a print dress comes over and tries to tell me something. Seein' as how we're four feet from the amps, I had to ask her to walk away a few feet so I could hear her.

And she says to me - "I'M NOT COMFORTABLE WITH YOU BRINGING A CHILD TO A BAR."

Not a word about how it's nice of me to encourage an interest in music. Or how it's good for the 'child' to see how the other world lives (particularly those well-behaved non-drinking middle-aged white guys who seem to comprise Monroe's core audience,) nor a word about father/son bonding or how it's good for a lad to see how much moral integrity a married man can have when young chicks with really big breasts are constantly throwing themselves at him.

But NOOOOOO - instead it's "I'm not comfortable with you bringing a child to a bar."

... So here's where you the reader comes in - Just what do you say to an idiot like that?

I've been on a picket-line for the past eight weeks and have no problem hurling verbal abuse at people I don't know and who deserve it - so I WON'T tell you what I said. After all, this is a family-rated General Admission blog - as all you muthafukka's out there already know.

Sooo, what would YOU say in such a circumstance?

The winner for the best comeback gets my life-long respect and high-fives from both hands.

16 Comments:

Blogger Butch McLarty said...

More details please regarding this woman.

Nice rack?

Slender legs up to her neck?

Hairy armpits?

Ruby lips?

Bedroom eyes?

Related to Sugar Scoop?

7:21 AM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

No - she had all of the admirable acroutrements of Honey Pot - but none of the charm.

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hows about "sorry, I know what you mean, it'll never happen again"

10:44 AM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

But Pops, I say that about ten times a day just around the house.

And usually that phrase begins with the word "Dear."

11:11 AM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Sonny, here's how I would have handled it:

I would have politely asked her to stick around until the band broke for intermission and then had Gnut sit on one knee and the woman on the other knee and in my best Bobby Goldsboro imitation, I would have sang ...

There he sits with a pen and a yellow pad
What a handsome lad, that's my boy
B-R-L-F-Q spells mom and dad
Well that ain't too bad, 'cause that's my boy
Well you can have your TV and your nightclubs
And you can have your drive-in- picture show
I'll stay here with my little man near
We'll listen to the radio
Biding my time watching Scotty grow

Making a castle out of building blocks
And a cardboard box, that's my boy
Micky Mouse says it's thirteen o'clock
Well that's quite a shock, but that's my boy
In four short years I've gone from rags to riches
And what I did before that, I don't know
So let it rain on my windowpane
I got my own rainbow
And we're sitting here shining, watching Scotty grow

Riding on daddy's shoulders up to bed
Old sleepyhead, that's my boy
Gotta have a drink of water and a story read
A teddybear named Fred, that's my boy
What's that you say momma, come on and keep your feet warm?
Well save me a place I'll be there in a minute or so
I think I'll stay right here
And say a little prayer before I go
Me and God are watching Scotty grow
Me and God are watching Scotty grow

4:25 PM  
Blogger Butch McLarty said...

Then Gnut could have sang ...

Le la, le la, le la loo....I'm in love with you.
My daddy is a great lover...with big strong arms to hold.
His love is real, his love is strong...and his heart's as good as gold.
And I'm a chip chop...chip off the old block...Le la lou la dee Chip chop
Chip off the old block..Mmm mm, yeah that's me.

When I was a boy, Paw slapped his chest, this is what he said: "If ever I saw one in my life, this is a thoroughbred." My boy's a chip chop...Chip off the old block. Le la lou la dee chip, chop...Chip off the old block...mmm mm, yeah that's me.

I couldn't take my eyes off you, when you went strolling by. Paw smiled and said he wouldn't be mine if he didn't have a roving eye.

I know my Paw be true to Maw, all her live long days. And I'll be true to you, darling cause I got my Pappy's ways.

Cause I'm a chip chop...chip off the old block...Le la lou la dee. chip chop, chip off the old block...mmm mm, yeah that's me.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Butch - do all of Bobby Goldsboro songs have someone either dying or getting divorced?

I always thought he could have sold a lot more copies of that 'Scotty' song if he changed it to 'Me and God are Watching Scotty Die.'

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about, "He has his mother's permission."

even better

Burp! He has his mothers permission.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Both good suggestions, Doug - partiularly the one involving belching.

4:26 AM  
Blogger Honey Pot said...

You boys are dumb. If you had of played your cards right, you could have got laid.

You could have made up a good, "I am lost, please screw me story."

You could have just looked down on the ground, and then took her aside and tell her how your wife passed away last year, and you really didn't know how to entertain your kid.

Slip the kid $10.00 to go along with the lie.

The next thing you know that female would have been feeling bad, and providing you with a sympathy screw. That is just how it works.

You want to get laid, borrow a kid, or a cute dog, and go to the park. Works everytime.

I have a public service announcment for the protection of you guys. Don't be trying this at home.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/dwarfs-penis-gets-stuck-to-vacuum-cleaner/2007/08/21/1187462212841.html

5:14 AM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Sorry, H.P. - but I could never lie or mislead a woman. It goes against my moral code.

Whenever tempted by such thoughts, first I ask myself - "What would Stephen Harper do?"

8:27 AM  
Blogger David Webb said...

Tough one to call Sonny. If the boy could see you, I would have said, lean close to her ear, say "I don't give a fuck what you think you leathery skeez", and than had a long pull on my beer. If the mini-Sonny was out of sight, then maybe there wouldn't be a need to be so nice.

Of course in reality I would have said nothing and stewed for hours on end.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Pagan Mnemosyne said...

Tough choice. You could have said he wasn't your son, but a clone you made of yourself that you're currently making sure shares all of your interests. When she backs away, grab her arm and ask if she wants a clone of herself, because you can whip her up one in the back, easy peasy. Then watch her run.

9:02 AM  
Blogger David Webb said...

KD = Winner.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

I agree, David - that was a pretty inventive solution there, K.S.

Your prize will be getting on the guest-list for my 'Dark Shadows Tavern' night at whatever pub downtown don't mind fake blood on their table linen.

2:40 AM  
Blogger Pagan Mnemosyne said...

Dark Shadows Tavern! Count me in! Go Barnabas!

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home