Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Arcadia Fire Puts Out New Record

Get into my car last night to go to work and FM96 is on the radio. There's what sounds like a half-decent song on so I don't turn it off. Or switch to John Tesh. In fact, my first guess was that it was a new Smashing Pumpkins song.

Turns out it was Windowsills by Arcadia Fire. A band of which I've only glanced upon their music videos for a few seconds before moving on. But I know that David Boughey is a fan so I figure they must have something going for them.

Anyway, it turns out that this is from their long-awaited second album and that I'm listening to a show called "Indie Beat." The host then goes on and on about how when she first listened to Acadia Fire's new Neon Bible CD, how she could really hear the Bruce Springsteen influence. And how quickly she picked up on the sound of the Boss on the new songs and that they must have been listening to him a lot in the past year before going into the recording studio.

The key phrase being "Bruce Springsteen." ... And I'm thinking - Oh, shut up. I read the same reviews in the weekend papers that you did. You don't have to act like you invented it.

But the thing is - and this is why I never believe music reviewers anymore - this music didn't even sound like Springsteen. In fact, how can anyone even pretend to be profound on such a subject?

It was obvious to me that these guys were rippin' off the second CD by The Killers.

4 Comments:

Blogger carmilevy said...

No one listens to folks on radio anymore. They're so heavily programmed that anything they ultimately do say will have the depth of three dimes. I like your philosophy: I let my ears guide me - and not the untrained sows who staff today's radio stations.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

You're absolutely right C.L. - that's why I'm going out today and buying the new Stooges album.

Despite it getting not one good review other than "Well, you have to listen to it about five times to realize how good it is."

Screw the critics - on radio or in print - I'm going on the recommendation of a guy that lives down the street. And the fact that it's only $9.99 on Amazon.

And you're right about those FM-radio DJ's - sure they've read about the Stooges, but have they HEARD them? At least five times to be sure they "get" it.

3:52 AM  
Blogger Brad Collins said...

Actually Sonny, the name of the band is ARCADE FIRE! Maybe you had the volume down low and didn't catch the name or maybe you just need to clean the wax out of your ears!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Sonny Drysdale said...

Brad - you mean these guys aren't from Acadia? I thought they were Canadian.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home